Wednesday, June 18, 2008

NAIROBI, KENYA - Introduction

The Workshop on 'Get Organised with Human Rights'
JUNE 7 - 14, 2008

I supposed to leave for Nairobi, Kenya on the evening of 6th June but due to my commitment at the Pacemakers Annual Run on 7th June, my flight was delayed till o400hr on 8th June. Due to gloomy weather at KLIA, the flight was delayed for 30 minutes and finally took off at 0445hrs. It took about 7 hours to land in Doha and another connecting flight to Nairobi (another 5 hours). Arrived there approximately 1300hr local time (1800hr Malaysian time).
Mr. Humphrey, the Chairman of the Nairobi People's Settlements Network was at the airport to received me. I was one of the last two participants that arrived for the workshop which start early that morning. So, I missed the introductory session. Nevertheless, I sort of made a 'grant' entry just after lunch to a group of curious participants (I think so????).

Shalom House is an initiative of Koinonia, a lay Christian community based in Nairobi. There are 14 comfortable self contained double/single rooms, 7 comfortable self contained rooms for 4 persons, a common TV room, an IT Centre, a Cafe Restaurant, gift shop, laundry services and spacious playground for children.

Shalom House is located just off Ngong' Road behind St. Palloti Catholic Church just after Daggoretti Corner, only about 7km from city centre.

Twenty Five Community Organisers/Leaders of different communities and social movements from Africa, Asia, United States and Europe gathered for a workshop to sharpen their knowledge and skills on organising community on human rights. The programme also devote to planning together for the joint bottom-up mobilisation towards the 60th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

'Get Organised for Human Rights' is a programme organised by Dignity International in collaboration with Nairobi People's Settlements Network and Hakijamii Trust and supported by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Finland & Oxfam, NOVIB.

Group photo taken at the front garden

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Hi Jue,

I just checked my comments and saw your reply. Thanks alot. I'm recovering well and I'm training hard for my 1st half marathon - Adidas King Of the Road.

But I'll be running at Siemen's Run on 6th of July.

Take care :)